NCAAB Selection – West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Iowa State Cyclones Betting Pick
- Updated: February 14, 2015
The No. 21 West Virginia Mountaineers vs. No. 14 Iowa State Cyclones tip off at Hilton Coliseum on Saturday February 14th at 4PM in Big 12 college basketball action.
Point Spread: Iowa State -6.5
Over/Under Total Line: 158
In their last game West Virginia beat Kansas State 76-72 as a large 11 point favorite failing to get the spread cover. The 148 total points scored in the game sent the over/under soaring over the 135 line. In their most recent Iowa State lost to Oklahoma 94-83 as a 5.5 underdog breaking off a mini two game losing streak. The losing margin of 11 points had Sooners’ backers cashing their tickets and Cyclone bettors losing their third straight. The 177 combined points went well over the closing total line of 150.5 which was the 8th over in Iowa State’s last 9 games.
Earlier this season at West Virginia the Cyclones beat the Mountaineers 74-72 as a -4.5 road dog with the total sliding under the 150 line. Overall these two teams have met 5 times with Iowa State holding a 3-2 straight up and against the point spread line. The over/under line shows a slight trend to the under with 3 of the 5 games falling short of the posted closing line.
Both of these teams are tied for 2nd place in the Big 12 conference with 4 losses each trailing Kansas, who has 2 conference losses.
Iowa State’s offense ranks 12th in the nation in both points per game and team FG%.
This season Iowa State is 13-0 at home and West Virginia is 4-2 on the road.
West Virginia Mountaineers: 19-5 SU / 12-10 ATS
Iowa State Cyclones: 17-6 SU / 10-10 ATS
• Mountaineers are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games following a S.U. win.
• Mountaineers are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
• Mountaineers are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 vs. Big 12.
• Mountaineers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 Saturday games.
• Mountaineers are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
• Cyclones are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 Saturday games.
• Cyclones are 19-9 ATS in their last 28 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
• Cyclones are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
• Cyclones are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
• Cyclones are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 vs. Big 12.
• Cyclones are 3-8 ATS in their last 11 games following a S.U. loss.
• Cyclones are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
• Cyclones are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games after allowing more than 90 points in their previous game.
Neither team has any significant injuries to report
Iowa State 87.93
West Virginia 86.51
Free Point Spread Pick
The Cyclones hung with an underrated Sooners club for the first half before losing by 11. That was on the road and they now return home where they are 13-0. They’re only a poor 6-7 in those games, but I believe this is an up spot for them. They’ve dropped two of their last three games and will be looking to rebound in a big way against the Mountaineers who they already have a 2-point road win over back on January 10th. Their leading scorer Geoges Niang has been held to just 7 points in back to back games and should get back to form tonight against a team that he hung 16 on in their last meeting. The line is a reasonable 6.5 and while they haven’t been able to extend the margin in many Big 12 games, I believe they will against a fading West Virginia squad.